Special Weapons And Tactics Team
|The Ontario Fire and Police Departments were one of the first agencies in the State of California to utilize paramedics in a tactical role; the year was 1985. In a response to the needs of the Ontario Police Tactical Team, police and fire personnel were faced with the physical constraints of providing emergency medical care to injured citizens and police officers in a hostile environment.
Paramedics from the Fire Department were commissioned to Reserve Police Officer status and trained to the level of a S.W.A.T. Team Operator. To date, there have been several high risk incidents where the skills of the S.W.A.T. Paramedic have been placed into action. The S.W.A.T. Team Paramedic is dispatched with the Team on all assignments and participates in all S.W.A.T. training.
The requirements for the S.W.A.T. Team Paramedic are:
1. Must pass the annual mandatory S.W.A.T. Team physical agility qualifications.
2. Achieve and maintain Reserve Police Officer status.
3. Maintain weapon qualifications.
4. Possess a California Paramedic License with local accreditation.
5. Pass an extensive screening process including: